Oregon Spectator, June 11, 1846
Willamette, May 22, 1846
Mr. Editor – You are requested to publish the proceedings of a meeting which was held, pursuant to notice, at Mr. D. Waldo’s, for the purpose of organizing a Military company; when,
On motion, Mr. Keyser was called to the chair, and Mr. Thos. Holt appointed secretary of the meeting.
On motion, the following preamble was read and adopted, to wit:
Whereas the people of Oregon territory are situated remote from, and without the protection of, any government; we, therefore, as members of a free and enlightened community, wishing to preserve the principles and institutions of a free and republican form of government, and being well aware that they body of the people is the only power capable of sustaining such institutions, therefore, we deem it advisable to form ourselves into military bodies, for the purpose of preserving peace and order at home, and preventing aggression from abroad – having this precept before us that
Eternal vigilance is freedom’s price –
Its deadly bane is ignorance and vice.
On motion, it was resolved, that we, as citizens of said territory, in pursuance of this duty, forthwith organize ourselves into a company of Mounted Riflemen, and pledge themselves to abide such rules, regulations, and by-laws, as may be adopted by a majority of the company.
On motion, resolved, that this company shall be called “THE OREGON RANGERS.”
On motion, the president proceeded to read a code of by-laws for the government of the troop, which was adopted.
After which, about forty-five joined the company, by subscribing their names to the by-laws.
On motion two committees were appointed to nominate officers of said company. the results of the election was as follows, to wit”
For Captain, Charles Bennet.
“ 1st Lieut, A. A. Robinson.
“ 2nd “, Isaac Hutchins.
“ 3rd “, Hiram English.
“ Ord. Sergt., Thos. Holt.
“ 2d “, Thos. Howell.
“ 3d “, S. C. Morris.
“ 4th “, William Herring.
“ 1st Corp’l., P. C. Keyser.
“ 2d “, Robert Walker.
“ 3d “, B. Frost.
“ 4th “, John Rowe.
On motion, resolved, that the president and secretary sign the proceedings of this meeting, and forward a copy of them to the editor of the Oregon Spectator for publication.
On motion the meeting adjourned.
T. D. Keyser, Pres’t
Thos. Hold, Sec’y.
Oregon City Enterprise, June 9, 1876
(Reprinted from Sunday Welcome)
OREGON CITY AND HER INDUSTRIES.
A visit to Oregon City must convince any and all of its superior position for a great manufacturing centre. Enormous water power, vast forests of trees easily attained; while in its near vicinity is a large deposit of coal, destined at no distant day to be worked to good advantage, thus affording all that is necessary for manufactories to be run upon a cheap basis. No doubt in our mind exists that Oregon City, or near there, would have been the commercial metropolis of the State had not very grave and serious mistakes been made by land litigants not quieting titles at an early day. A slight sketch of the place will show this more fully.
It was the first city established in the State. Dr. McLoughlin, chief factor of the Hudson Bay Company built here the first cabin in the year 1835. In 1838 he had erected a building somewhat resembling a house in form by which means to establish his right to the site, which he did two years later. The pioneer missionaries of the Methodist Church first settled here in 1840; they were soon followed by other immigrants. The Provisional Government elected t he first Governor in 1845, and the same year he was inaugurated at Oregon City. The first newspaper published in the Oregon Territory was issued at the same place in 1845. The city grew with much rapidity from 1840 to 1850. It was up to 1851 the capital of the Territory of Oregon, in that year the seat was moved to Salem. Trade was carried on between Oregon City, Puget Sound, San Francisco and other places, until land titles became so faulty (squabbling over Dr. McLoughlin’s property) that person were afraid to purchase property and consequently many were driven to Portland, through which means this city gained largely, which gain has been retained.
The Willamette Falls can give water power sufficient to turn the machinery of several hundred mills. The only factories that are established there, with the machinery run by water, are two flouring mills, one woolen mill, one wooden ware manufactory, a sash and door factory. One of the flouring mills – the Oregon City – is deserving of more than a passing notice. It is owned by the enterprising firm of Miller, Marshall & Co., and has introduced the latest improved machinery. The building is of fair size, but not large enough to accommodate advantageously the amount of machinery run. The receiving of wheat from boats and delivery is made on hand cars. The wheat as received is cleaned, and if any way smutty is put through a smutting machine previous to being dumped into an elevator and taken to the top of the building where it is received in bins for future use. There are five run or set of stones which turn out 250 barrels of flour a day. Ono the second floor we found a machine for packing flour in sacks. It does the work of several men. It can be regulated to pack a more or less amount in each sack. We saw several sacks filled and they did not vary in weight half a pound, so exact is the machine. Here is also a bran packer. By it more, by one quarter, can be gotten into bags beside saving labor. The company uses the original French middling purifiers. They are more expensive and are claimed to be superior to the other kinds in use. To us they appear more perfect. By these machines 65 per cent of middlings is put into flour – which is the best part of the wheat. There are two chests of bolts with seven reels in use. In the upper story are the bins which received the wheat raised from the ground floor by elevators. On the same floor there is some kind of horizontal machines used in dampening wheat when too dry. the arrangement against fire is perfect. Leading to the top of the building is a three feet diameter iron pipe which at the lower end is attached the pipe of the water works. By means of a wire which when pulled floods the entire building with water. So simple and perfect is it that no fire can get under way. The company has in view the building of a warehouse on the river bank a short distance from the mills, at which boats running in any of the other company lines can load.
The woolen mills owned by Jacob Bros., W. S. Ladd and Brown Bros., are the finest we have seen. The main building is made of brick and three stories in height. Owing to the late hour were were compelled to visit the factory, we found only a few hands at work, and the rapid pace with which we were shown through afforded no satisfaction, and did not allow of our taking full notes. there are thirty-four looms, eight sets of cards and nine self-acting jocks. The machinery is the very latest and best improved – saving labor and turning out superior made goods. The company has employed about one hundred and ten hands, about four-fifths of whom are Chinamen. The dry house is of the most perfect character, as also the picking room. this room is sixty feet distant from the main building, with a most admirable place for putting out any fire that might originate. The store house is some distance off, at the time the mills were destroyed some years ago it was saved. Throughout the main building a most admirable system has been perfected for putting out fires. On each floor is a hose fifty feet long that throws a powerful stream of water.
The Wooden Ware factory is not running on full time. It turns out excellent work. The Imperial Flouring Mills we were unable to visit, but learn that in all its arrangements it is perfect. We were also unable to visit two or three other industries.
From Mr. Thomas Charman we learned that the fruit dryer was not running. The fruit preserved by the company gave marked satisfaction wherever introduced. The company forwarded some of the same to the East, Europe, and Honolulu, and also San Francisco, and other coast ports. Honolulu is the best market. About all of the fruit has been placed and to good advantage too.
The scenery of Oregon City is beautiful. From the high bluff a beautiful sight unfolds itself to the stranger. The place boasts of some six churches, two hotels, and many business houses. The Cliff House is most admirably kept, and of course is the favorite. Among the business men we found one old California acquaintance, Mr. Levy. Oregon City has improved him most wonderfully. The Enterprise, a weekly paper, is issued here. Typographically and editorially it would do justice to a place of larger growth than Oregon City.
Oregon City Enterprise, June 9, 1876, page 3
Editor Enterprise: Hearing that it was said that Mr. Frank Pyle, who has been superintendent of the Alden Fruit Dryer for the past season, had left the company in the lurch, we take this means of saying that the relation existing between Mr. Pyle and the Company have been entirely satisfactory to both parties, and he, having received a better offer in the East than we could afford to give, we advised him to accept, while we regret to lose his services.
Thos. Charman, sect’y of Alden Fruit Co.
Oregon City Enterprise, June 8, 1906
RESIDENCES MUST BE NUMBERED.
Such an Ordinance Considered by City Council.
At Wednesday night’s meeting of the City Council there was introduced an ordinance requiring the proper numbering of residences and the posting of names of streets of the city. This ordinance was read and ordered published. It was prepared and introduced at the suggestion of Postmaster Randall as a preliminary step in securing free city mail delivery for Oregon City. The government requires that the streets and residences of a city must be properly numbered before a free mail delivery service can be established.
TEACHERS VISIT OREGON CITY.
View the Many Places of Historical Interest.
Twenty of the teachers employed in the Portland city schools, under the direction of Mrs. Eva Emery Dye, visited the many points of historic interest in Oregon City and vicinity Saturday. In the evening the party was entertained at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Moffatt on the West Side.
Among the interesting placed visited were the grave and pioneer residence of Dr. John McLoughlin, the home of Governor Abernethy and the well which remains the same as when used by its first owner. Rose Farm where the first barbecue was given in honor of Governor Joe Lane, the first Governor of the state; the old Methodist church, the first church building erected west of the Rocky Mountains, the old Baptist and Congregational churches, the first church homes erected on the North Pacific coast by those two denominations; the Wm. Tell house, the building in which the first legislature of the state held its sessions and the Barclay property, the home of Dr. Barclay of the Hudson Bay Company.
(Note: Rose Farm is the only site on this list that is still standing in its original location. The McLoughlin House and Barclay House were preserved by moving them to the top of Singer Hill. McLoughlin’s grave was moved twice and is now next to his house on Center Street. The Methodist and Congregational churches were destroyed by fire and both were rebuilt on the hill. The Baptist church building (9th & Main) and William Tell house (Sixth & Main) were both torn down.) With the loss of the Abernethy elm tree near the bank of the Willamette River, which was removed due to disease and storm damage, all vestiges of his original land claim have disappeared.)
Oregon City Enterprise, June 9, 1916
CANDIDATES SHOW WHAT IT COSTS TO RUN FOR OFFICES
Expense Accounts for Primaries Run from Five Cents to Near $100.
Saturday, the last day upon which candidates at the primary election had to file their campaign expense accounts, found a number of local aspirants for office on the missing list at the office County Clerk Harrington. Under the law the county clerk will notify the district attorney of these failures to report, and the district attorney will call upon the candidates for their expense accounts.
Candidates seeking county offices spent sums ranging from five cents to $99. Ed Fortune, Democratic candidate for constable, spent five cents, while Harvey Gibson, one of the Republican candidates for commissioner, hit the high mark.
The three aspirants for honors in the sheriff’s race turned in accounts that seem to indicated that the less spent, the greater the result. Sheriff Wilson, who won the Republican nomination, spent but $14.30, while John F. Albright, whom he defeated, spent $53.20. Maxwell Victor, who won the Democratic nomination, spent $34.06. The odd six cents on Victor’s account is blamed on postage; two cents for a letter to J. E. Hedges “acquainting him with certain details regarding my candidacy.” and four cents postage expended, so Victor says, in an effort to “get a square deal” from the Oregon City Courier.
E. T. Mass, who was not officially a candidate, but who came within eight votes of wrestling the nomination from Victor, did not submit any statement of his expenses or of expenses on his behalf.
The sums spent by the various county candidates are as follows:
County commissioner: S. L. Mullan, $79.20; Harvey Gibson, $99; W. A. Proctor, $96; J. D. Reed, $78.90; C. W. Risley, $10.50.
Sheriff: John F. Albright, $53.20; William J. Wilson, $14.30; Maxwell Victor, $34.06.
County clerk: Iva M. Harrington, $2.50
County recorder: Pearl Selby, $55, Clyde Hughes, $49.70; H. C. Boyles, $64.
County assessor: R. E. Woodward, $85.05; C. F. Romig, $63.20; W. W. Everhart, $83.60; G. F. Johnson, $12.65.
County school superintendent: J. E. Calavan, $1.40.
County coroner: W. E. Hempstead, $10.
County treasurer: M. E. Dunn, $3.20
Constable (Fourth Justice District): D. E. “Jack” Frost, $15; Lee French, $10.85; Ed Fortune, 5 cents.