The Oregon Argus, June 14, 1856
Upon a recent funeral occasion, at the suggestion of Rev. G. H. Atkinson, it was voted to hold a meeting of the citizens of Oregon City and vicinity, at some future time, and take some steps to secure the burying ground to the use of the citizens in the future, and have it properly laid off. The undersigned was appointed to see Wm. Holmes, Esq., who will convey the land for the use above named, and with him agree upon time and place, and call the meeting as appointed. He has done so; and this is a request the citizens of Oregon City and vicinity to meet in the Hall over the City Drug Store on Saturday, the 21st of June inst., at 3 o’clock P. M., for the purpose above indicated. Fellow-citizens, come together, and let us secure and properly arrange a resting place for our dead.
W. C. Johnson, Oregon City, June 14, 1856
City Council minutes, June 21, 1856:
On motion a committee of two was appointed to confer with Wm. Holmes in regard to the cemetery and receive a Deed from him conveying said property to the City Corporation. Messrs Barclay & Waite were appointed said committee.
City Council minutes, June 28, 1856:
Committee on Cemetery reported a conference with Wm. Holmes Esq & that he would convey the cemetery to the Council as soon as it can be conveyed.
City Council minutes, April 6, 1863:
On motion the City Recorder was authorized and required to draw up a deed of conveyance to the City Cemetery from Wm. Holmes and his wife to Oregon City.
From orcity.org/cemetery: Mountain View Cemetery, established in 1854, is one of the oldest cemeteries in the West. The first known burial occurred in December 1847 for infant John Barclay, son of Dr. and Mrs. Forbes Barclay. The second oldest headstone belongs to the former Dr. William Allen who died June 9, 1851.
On April 29, 1863 William Livingston and Mary Holmes deeded five acres of land for $5.00 to the city council of Oregon City for the use as a public cemetery. They also deeded one acre of adjacent land to the Masonic Lodge, also for a cemetery. These two cemeteries are the two oldest sections of Mountain View Cemetery, which now include fifty-four acres of property for ground and above ground burials
Oregon City Enterprise, June 16, 1876
ANOTHER RELIC GONE – For a few days since we have observed the old three story building near the city Seminary was being dismantled and torn down. Upon inquiry we learn that this building, known as the Oregon City College, was erected in 1850 or ’51. A charter was obtained for it as the Oregon City College through the efforts of elders Hezekiah Johnson and Ezra Fisher, the first Baptist missionaries sent to Oregon, with the idea of having the school for Oregon Baptists at this place. During the mining excitement several thousand dollars were raised for this purpose, these ministers giving about all they were worth, and this building was erected. Dr. Chandler, who no lies paralyzed at Forest Grove, was sent out to take charge of this school, after it had been temporarily conducted by Elder Fisher. Some books were sent out from the East, with a small philosophical apparatus, and the school was started with fine prospects, considering the distance from civilization and the condition of this now prosperous State at that time. The school was afterward in charge of Prof. J. D. Post for a few years, but no endowment being provided, the effort to keep up the school abated. Prof. C. H. Mattoon taught a while, and perhaps one or two others, but the building finally fell into disuse for school purposes. It was then rented for a number of years as a dwelling, but no repairs being made, it became unfit for this. After that it became a resort for idle boys who played “hooky” from school, or went there on Sundays to have a sly game of cards away from the old folks. To prevent this misuse of the building, W. C. Johnson, Esq., of the Board of Trustees, sold the remains for a small sum, and provided for having it torn down. In the early days a number of boys and girls who now are strong men and women in this community, secured a portion of their education in this building, and the influence set to work there have not seen their end, though the house is torn down and destroyed. Fisher and Johnson are in their graves, and Chandler’s working days are past, but the impulse they gave to education in Oregon will not cease with their lives, and we would be glad if their desire to have a college here might yet be realized.
Oregon City Enterprise, June 15, 1906
FIRE DOES DAMAGE
Portland General Electric Co’s Plant Crippled.
LIGHT AND POWER SERVICE SERIOUSLY INTERRUPTED.
Fire did extensive damage to Portland General Electric Company’s million dollar plant in this city early Sunday evening. As a result of a cross circuit in the company’s plant at Portland, three of the largest dynamos at the Oregon City station were burned out, three others were ruined by water, the switch-board was burned out and all connecting wires destroyed, rending the plant inoperative, placing both Portland and Oregon city in darkness temporarily interrupting the street car traffic between two cities.
The fire started at 8 o’clock and for some time, the entire electric plant as well as the valuable properties of the Willamette Pulp & Paper Company and the Crown-Columbia Pulp and Paper Company was threatened. Immediately on the discovery of the blaze, the street sprinkling plants at both paper mills were placed in operation and further damage from the flames which partially destroyed the roof and cupola at the electric station, were intercepted. All of the fire apparatus with which the paper mills are equipped, were then directed on the fire, which was brought under control within an hour.
With the sounding of the general fire alarm, church services were dismissed and citizens rushed to aid in saving the threatened property. With the cessation of light and power service grocery stores were opened and a wholesale business followed in the candle trade.
Superintendent Lang, of Willamette mills, together with a large force of paper mill employees, together with members of the city’s volunteer fire department united in bringing the fire under subjection. Little damage resulted to the building of the Portland General Electric Company, which is of expensive concrete construction, the principal harm being confined to the valuable machinery and equipment of the plant and the utter destruction for an indefinite period of the company’s service.
Connections were made Monday morning by which the O. W. P. Company’s cars and the Portland Flouring Mills were supplied. Light and power for Oregon City and Portland was furnished within 48 hours of the accident so that the two cities were partially lighted. The damage was not as extensive as estimated and will not require as long to repair, as was feared.
Oregon City Enterprise, June 16, 1916
County’s Biggest Blossoms Displayed at Big Rose Show
The Oregon City Rose society held its tenth annual rose show in this city Wednesday in the Masonic hall. never before have the blossoms of Clackamas county shown to a better advantage than at this year’s rose show.
Long tables filled with roses of various hues and varieties were artistically arranged in vases and at the rear of the hall was a floral display of H. J. Bigger. At this year’s show cash prizes and ribbons were offered, many cases ribbons were offered for second and third prizes, except in several classes. The judges of the roses were E. B. McFarland and Alfred Tucker, of Portland, well known rose growers of that city.
Flechtner’s orchestra furnished music during the afternoon and evening. Members of the society acted as hostesses.
The judges, Mr. McFarland and Mr. Tucker, were guests of Mayor E. C Hackett, Postmaster J. J. Cooke and M. D. Latourette at a dinner served in the Mass restaurant.
The following are the awards:
Section A – Class Tea.
No. 1 – Best collection three red roses, named, one variety – Mrs. Clara Bond, first and second
No. 2 – Best collection three white roses, named one variety – Mrs. Clarence Farr, first; Mrs. F. T. Barlow, second.
No. 3 – Best collection three yellow roses, named, one variety – Mrs. Grant B. Dimick, first; Mrs. J. H. Walker, second; Mrs. Grant B. Dimick, third.
No. 4 – Best collection three pink roses, named, one variety – Miss Evangeline Dye, first, Mrs. Pauline Schwartz, second; Miss Evangeline Dye, third.
Section B – Class, Hybrid Tea.
No. 1 – Best three white roses, one variety, named – Mrs. G. B. Dimick, first; Mrs. F. T. Barlow, second.
No. 2 – Best four red roses, two varieties, named, two of each – Mrs. G. A. Harding, first and second; Mrs. J. H. Walker, third.
No. 3 – Best six pink roses, three varieties, two of each, LaFrance and Testout barred – Mrs. J. H. Walker, first.
No. 4 – Best six yellow roses, three varieties, named, two of each – Mrs. G. A. Harding, first, Mrs. J. H. Walker, second’; Mrs. F. T. Barlow, third.
Section C – Class Hybrid Perpetual.
No. 1 – Best six white roses, one variety, named – Mrs. E. E. Brodie, first; Mrs. J. J. Cooke, second; Margaret Beatie, third.
No. 2 – Best four red roses; two varieties, named – Mrs. G. A. Harding, first.
No. 3 – Best six red roses, three varieties, named, two of each – no entries
Best three pink roses, named – Mrs. J. H. Walker, first; Mrs. G. A. Harding, second; Mrs. J. H. Walker, third.
Best general collection, six roses, each a separate variety – Mrs. J. H. Walker, first; Mrs. G. B. Dimick, second,
Section D – Class, Climbers (Ramblers Excepted.)
Best six white roses, two varieties – Mrs. G. A. Harding, first and second.
Best six pink roses, one variety, named – Mrs. G. A. Harding, first; Miss Jean White, second.
Section E – Class, Mixed Varieties
Best four Captain Hayward – Mrs. B. T. McBain, first; Mrs. J. H. Walker, second.
Best four pink LaFrance – Mrs. G. A. Harding, first; Mrs. E. E. Brodie, second.
Best four General McArthur – Mrs. J. H. Walker, first; Mrs. G. B. Dimick, second.
Best four Florence Pemberton – Mrs. G. B. Dimick, first.
Best four Marechal Neil – Mrs. D. C. Ely, first.
Best four Killarney roses – Mrs. J. J. Cooke, first.
Best three Hugh Dixon – Mrs. Clarence Farr, first; Mrs. G. B. Dimick, second.
Best four Lady Ashton – Mrs. J. J. Cooke, first.
Section F – Class, Testout
Best 15 Caroline Testouts – Mrs. B. T. McBain, first; Mrs. G. A. Harding, second.
Best 10 Caroline Testouts – Margaret Beatie, first; Mrs. E. E. Brodie, second.
Section G – Class, New Roses.
Best roses named (roses originated before 1909 cannot be exhibited in this class), three prizes offered – Mrs. B. T. McBain, first; Mrs. F. T. Barlow, second; Miss Nan Cochran, third.
Section H – Class, Large Roses
Best three large roses, any variety, named, two prizes – Mrs. E. E. Brodie, first; Evangeline Dye, second.
Section I – Class, Rambler
Best four sprays and variety named, small rambler rose – Mrs. J. H. Walker, first and second.
Best individual rose exhibited (three prizes offered) – Mrs. J. J. Cooke, first, Mrs. J. H. Walker, second and third.
Best bunch of mixed roses, other than climbers, 25 or more, quality, quantity and variety considered (two prizes offered) – Mrs. J. B. Dimick, first; Mrs. Clarence Farr, second.
For exhibitors who have never received a prize.
Three red roses – Marie Walker
Three yellow roses – Marie Walker
Three white roses – Marie Walker
Three pink roses – Mrs. E. E. Brodie
Best individual rose in the show, wherever found, no entry necessary. Stems and foliage to count in awarding prizes. First and second prizes offered – Mrs. B. T. McBain, first; no second awarded.