Oregon Spectator, October 29, 1846
Those of the emigrants who came by the way of the Mount Hood road, have all safely reached the valley of the Willamette, and a large portion of them are already on their claims, busily engaged in promotion their comfort and welfare. Mr. J. W. Ladd’s wagon was at the head of the line, and arrived in this city on the 13th of last month, at least two month’s in advance of any previous emigration. We have been favored by Mr. Barlow, with the subjoined statement of the number of wagons, &c., that have crossed the Cascade Mountains, by the Mount Hood road, during the present season. Five wagons only were abandoned between The Dalles and this point. The weather has been extremely favorable for the emigration, and still continues remarkably mild and pleasant for this late period of the year.
In regard to the remainder of the emigration, who are coming in by Messrs. Applegate and Goff’s recently explored route, we can obtain no satisfactory information, further than they are as yet a considerable distance from the head of the valley. We have understood that several families have abandoned their wagons, and come in on the pack animals; likewise, that two or three parties have started out, with provisions, &c., to meet the emigration. We have a rumor that one hundred and forty wagons, of the two hundred and fifty reported to be on this route, have turned off and gone to California, this requires confirmation, however.
Mr. Editor – Sire, by your request, I herewith send you the number of wagons and stock that passed the toll-gate on the Mount Hood road. There were one hundred and forty-five wagons, fifteen hundred and fifty-nine head of horses, mules, and horned cattle all together, and one of sheep, the not not recollected, but I think thirteen.Yours, &c.,. Saml. K. Barlow, October 22nd, 1846
Since the above was put in type, we learn, by the arrival of a party of the Hudson’s Bay Company’s servants, from Fort Hall, that there are seven more wagons en route for this place, in the Cascade Mountains, being the rearward company of the emigration by the Mount Hood road.
DEPARTURE OF CAPTAIN HOWISON – We were gratified last week, by a short visit from Captain Howison, of the late U. S. Schooner Shark. He informed us that with his officers and crew he would leave immediately in the Hudson’s Bay Company’s Schooner Cadborough, which has been chartered for this purpose. Captain Howison, it is altogether probable, will be sent home, as soon as practicable, to meet the decision of a Court of Inquiry in relation to the loss of his vessel. We know not what influences may be brought to bear upon such a court, but his we do know, that if its decision be a justice, it will exculpate Captain H. entirely.
Oregon City Enterprise, October 27, 1866
THE OREGON CITY ENTERPRISE commences its existence today and according to the general custom some statement of the purpose for which it is intended will be made.
Persons interested in the growth and prosperity of Oregon City have long felt a desire to have an establishment of this kind here, for the purpose of making known to the outside world the many advantages to be derived from investments at Oregon City, we have consented to take the task upon our self of furnishing a thorough newspaper, which shall exert not merely a local, but a general influence for the benefit of the State. This object will be kept steadily in view to the end that the ENTERPRISE may give character to its positions and weight to its opinions. The establishment has been purchased by an association of gentlemen, and given into our hands, and, as has been the case with us for the past few years of our connection with the leading paper of the State, we shall constantly aim to deserve well of the public. We shall spare no exertions to make the ENTERPRISE a welcome visitor to every household and place of business in the State, and shall look for our reward in a substantial encouragement which outlives the transient excitements brought about by the advocates of political parties. We shall not wholly ignore the political school – it is a matter of impossibility to be strictly neutral in these days. All people have their political preferences, and we have ours. We believe it to be the duty of all loyal and liberty loving people to aid in strengthening the hands of Congress in the contest which now seem inevitable, and for such ulterior ends, when political subjects are discussed in the columns of the ENTERPRISE, we shall lend our efforts. But the crowning and especial characteristic of the paper will be founded upon the good of the State of Oregon and the prosperity of its people.
THE OREGON CITY PAPER MILL
The building for the pioneer paper mill of Oregon is now completed, in this city, and the machinery well advanced preparatory to active operations. It will in every particular be a first class establishment. The capital stock of the company is $50,000. The present machinery includes one full set of modern cylinder description with capacity to turn out about 1500 pounds of paper per day. Of operatives they will employ about 20 men and women. The building is of brick and stone, four stories high, 30 by 60 feet in size, with an addition two stories high, 17 by 60 feet in size. The space is divided into rooms adapted for the accommodation of the work of making paper, which process we shall attempt to here describe, from information derived through Mr. T. K. Clifton.
When the stock is first received, it is weighed, and then hoisted to the fourth story of the main building, used as as stock room. As it is is wanted it is passed through an opening to the third story, or sorting room, where the process of sorting the material for each particular kind of paper is gone through with, and the rags so sorted are placed in proper bins. It next passes to the second story, where it is subjected to a process of cutting and dusting, thence it passes into the first story, where it is bleached, and after passing the engines is collected in large elliptic tubs, where it is ground into pulp. The pulp now passes to the “stuff chest,” from whence it is pumped up to the paper machines, where the nicest process is performed. After leaving the “stuff chest” the pulp passes into a vat, where it forms into a sheet on a wire cylinder, the water being all extracted by a fan wheel, and turned back to another section of the vat, to pass through the same process over and over again, leaving the pulp to adhere to the filling machine as it moves along, on through the first press rolls. At this point the sheet has vitality sufficient in itself to bear its own weight, and it passes on through the second press rolls, next to the drying cylinders, thence through the calendars, next on the reels, and finally to the cutters, where the paper is laid off in sheets, and taken by the heap to the finishing rooms, where it is counted, folded, pressed, bundled and next finds it way to market.
Taken throughout, the work of making paper is one of rare interest. The mill in this city is really a credit to the superintendent, Mr. W. W. Buck and chief architect and millwright, Mr. A. M. Hardin, and an honor to the enterprise of its projectors. There is a great demand for materials by which it may be kept in active operation when once under way. The market for paper on this coast the past two years has been but poorly supplied, and most kinds have been high and constantly hardening. The two mills of California, at Taylorville and Santa Cruz, have been but a mere “drop in the bucket” as it were, as, while they have been constantly employed, prices of paper still gradually advanced with a very scant supply. In 1865 the pioneer mill at Taylorville, manufactured 5,630 reams of news, and 6,840 reams of wrapping. They are doing even better than that the present year, and yet they are unable to fill their orders. We have no report from the Santa Cruz mill, but no doubt they are doing equally well.
The Oregon City mill will open with a very liberal prospect for the future. The stock on hand is not of sufficient amount to warrant the company in making news at first, but they are prepared to do so, as soon as they have material. Rags have been uncommonly scarce, and high, in all parts of the country for the past few years. This being the case paper-makers have been turning their attention to the discovery of other materials suitable for paper stock. All kinds of plants, from those which grow near our own doors to the luxuriant growths of tropical regions, have been experimented on with but partial success; but now it seems probable that for the future the main source of supply will be the forest. It is at least a century, and we do not know how much longer ago, since paper was made experimentally in Europe from wood; and, not withstanding repeated improvements, the requirements of cost and quality have not until recently been met. The manufacture of wood paper, is no, however, an accomplished fact. There are two large establishments, near Philadelphia, where it is carried on. In one of these a paper containing 60 per cent of wood pulp is turned out, and in the other, which is on an immense scale, an excellent paper for printing purposes, composed of 80 percent wood and 20 percent straw, is made. The large and more successful establishment is capable of turning out from 24, 000 to 30,000 pounds of pulp daily.
Oregon City Enterprise, October 23, 1896
Charles Vonderahe was awarded the contract for the erection of a seven-room cottage for William Andresen Tuesday. The new dwelling will occupy the vacant lot adjoining the Ross Charman residence, and will have a frontage facing the city park on Jefferson street, between 6th and 7th. The plans for the cottage were drawn by White Bros., architects, and it will be one of the neatest and tastiest residences in the city, when completed.
Oregon City Enterprise, October 26, 1906
SAW AND HAMMER ALTERING DR. MCLOUGHLIN’S OLD HOME
The old home of Dr. McLoughlin at the head of Main Street, opposite the woolen mills, is being remodeled into a more convenient and modern house. Parts of the house that were brought from England are being taken out and replaced with new parts. How this is regarded by strangers was shown, Thursday, when Dr. and Mrs. Wm. S. Wallace of Los Angeles visited the old house during a tour to points of historic interest about our city. “Nothing less than sacrilege,” said Mrs. Wallace, “and I am surprised that the citizens here do not take steps to preserve their historic places, and for financial reasons as well, for I am sure such places attract many visitors to your city.”
Dr. and Mrs. Wallace themselves came to Oregon City because of its historic interest. They had read Mrs. Eva Emery Dye’s book, McLoughlin and Old Oregon, being at Portland came to this city to meet the author of the book that had given them so many pleasures and to see the places where the great McLoughlin lived and worked.
Under Mrs. Dye’s guidance they saw the graves of Dr. McLoughlin and his wife. The great pioneer of this Pacific northwest, founder of our city, was buried in St. John’s churchyard in 1857, and three years later his Indian wife was laid beside him. His stone bears this inscription: “A friend of Oregon and founder of Oregon City.”
In the church a stained glass window dedicated to his memory gives a speaking likeness of Dr. McLoughlin. The old home is fully described in Mrs. Dye’s book. The front room on the left of the large hall is where the old man died. It still contains the old-fashioned fire-place. Across the hall was his wife’s sitting room. The narrow “colonial” windows on each side of the front door came from England when the house was built. It is a two story frame building with broad steps from the street to the door.
Oregon City Enterprise, October 27, 1916
MONEY SET ASIDE BY CITY TO BUY AUTO FIRE TRUCK
J. E. HEDGES PLEA WINS $200 MORE FOR THE CITY LIBRARY
Twenty-two taxpayers, six councilmen, Mayor Hackett, Engineer Miller and three newspapermen attended the annual budget meeting in the council chamber Thursday night. Many council sessions of little importance draw a larger crowd.
Few changes were made in the budget. Mayor Hackett often was compelled to say, “This is your meeting gentlemen. You are here to approve or change this budget. What do you think of this expenditure?”
The only motion which caused any debate was one made by J. E. Hedges, of the Library Board, asking from $400 from a miscellaneous fund for the library. His motion was lost, 9 to 7 and second motion that $200 be appropriated was carried.
Probably the most important development of the meeting was the discovery that the council has about made up its mind to buy automobile fire fighting apparatus and reorganize the volunteer fire department. The budget contains no item which in itself would hint that such a plan was on foot, and, in fact, its was not until the discussion of Mr. Hedge’s motion for an appropriation for the library was on at full swing was the purpose of the item really disclosed.
In drawing up the tentative budget, the administration cut every item as low as possible. A total of these appropriations was $5,468.84 less than the estimated income. This sum is labeled “Miscellaneous, emergency and incidentals,” in the budget. With it the council intends to buy a motor driven fire engine and reorganize the department. A part may also go for street oiling next summer.
The fact that the city is in the market for a truck, however, is pretty much a secret. “If they find out we are going to buy one, they might jump the price,” explained Mayor Hackett.
Nevertheless, an announcement of the city’s was made before the taxpayer’s meeting and the council has been figuring openly on the purchase for two months or more.
The council sought no advice on the purchase of a motor truck, although O. D. Eby did manage to declare that he believed better fire fighting apparatus was much needed.
Councilman Templeton opposed cutting into the big item, which, by the way, is the largest on the budget with the sole exception fo $5,000 appropriated to meet interest payments on bonds.
In addition to the money appropriated for the purchase of fire fighting apparatus, the budget inclues $1,928 for the expense of the fire department next year. The auto truck item, however, was cut from $5,468.84 to $5, 268.84 by a special appropriation of $200 to the city library.
The only other shifting of estimates made by the taxpayers outside of the $200 added to the $1,350 already in the budget for the library was $100 cut from the estimate for the city engineer’s office and added to the appropriation for arc lights.
F. J. Tooze tried a couple of times to talk on parks, but once was postponed and the other time discouraged in his efforts by Councilman Roake who explained that the council now had under consideration a plan whereby the city could secure parks.
Councilman Roake moved that the city attorney be instructed to prepare a charter amendment to be referred to the voters in December in which the city could be given the power to collect a fare for elevator rides. His motion was not seconded.
Following the budget meeting, a special session of the council was held. Plans submitted by the Southern Pacific, for a steel overhead crossing at Fourteenth Street were discussed and for a clearance of only nine feet and 11 inches above the street, which several councilmen thought too low and a menace to traffic. The street committee will endeavor to secure the aid of Superintendent Burkholter of the railroad in lowering the grade of the street.