News of the Week, November 13 to November 19

Oregon City Enterprise, November 17, 1866

STREET IMPROVEMENTS – Our worthy Street Commissioner, Mr. D. J. Slover, is very attentive to the wants of the community. During the past week he has added much to the appearance of several localities about the city. After nearly four years spent in “sloshing about” Portland it is a great source of pride to us to reside where we can travel about, without wading. We hope our city fathers, will soon consent to give us street lamps. They would be profitable, even through the lamps were furnished with oil instead of refined gas.


Charging the Furnace
The West Shore
November 2, 1889

THE OSWEGO FURNACE – We recently passed down the river to Portland from this city, and observed that the “stack” of the first furnace being built at Oswego, in this county, by the Oregon Iron Company, was rapidly assuming large proportions, and gave evident signs of soon becoming useful. The iron used in putting up this first furnace, we understand, was imported. It will not be long, however, after it gets into operation, before this furnace will build others. Oswego is destined to become the Pittsburg of this part of America. In Pittsburg, there are at this time forty-one foundries. We predict that a quarter of that number will be in operation at Oswego inside of ten years from now. The Pittsburg foundries employ an average of fifty hands each. Where there are such resources there is something to support a population. In the first class establishments of Pittsburg from twenty-five to forty-five tons of metal is used in a single casting. The same can be done at Oswego. We look for the establishment of Rolling Mills to follow the manufacture of iron in Oregon. The one now being thought of in California must come to us for iron. There has not been a time, since the invention of Rolling Mills, when their production was greater needed than at present and this modern method of procuring the material in Oregon, when once fairly under way, promises great results.

IN USE – The new improvements upon the “Basin” at this city are now completed. On Tuesday last the steamers of the company were brought into it for the first time since the extension was made. It is as permanent and substantial as the rocks upon which it is built. The whistle of the Echo and Union when about to leave on Wednesday morning for up river, sounded pleasantly, so near to business.

Oregon City Enterprise, November 17, 1876

LOOK OUT FOR TRAMPS – Last Sunday Chas. Anderson was hunting in the vicinity of the Carothers claim above Canemah, when he came across a man sleeping under a tree, covered up with bark and blankets. Charley imagined that he had discovered the Wandering Jew and was proceeding to examine the sleeping beauty when he awoke. He informed Charles that he had been exposed to the small-pox and was staying in the woods for the benefit of suffering humanity. The stranger had a pair of white blankets, a small box, etc. which looked out of place for a man in his condition, and excited Charley’s suspicion as to the truthfulness of the stranger’s story. On returning to Canemah he found that the articles answered the description to some that had been stolen on Saturday from that place, and a party was at one organized to go in search of the robber and the stolen goods. All of the articles except a pistol were found secreted under a log, near by the place where the light-fingered gent had been sleeping, but nothing was seen of the “small-pox man.” Farmers throughout the county will do well to keep their weather eye open.

NOW IS THE TIME to vaccinate, before the small-pox puts in an appearance in this city. There are several cases at Portland, and every one should be prepared for it.


Edward  L. Eastham

HYMENIAL – Last Thursday evening a large number of invited guests assembled at the residence of Mr. R. F. Caufield, to witness the marriage of his lovely daughter, Miss Clara, to Mr. E. L. Eastham. Rev. J. W. Sellwood tied the knot that made them one. After their many friends had tendered their hearty congratulations and good wishes for their future prosperity, the company repaired to the dining room, where an elegant collation awaited them. The banqueters paid ample attention to the repast and after an hour or two of social enjoyment they wended their way homeward, all joining with “ye local” in saying that it was a very pleasant affair.

Edward L. Eastham served as the president of the Willamette Falls Electric Co. 1888-1891. He died January 18, 1891 and was survived by Clara and six children. After his death Clara married Parker F. Morey, who had worked with Eastham to successfully complete the first intercity transmission of electricity, from Willamette Falls to Portland, in 1889. Morey, who had succeeded Eastham as the president of W. F. E. Co., was one of the founding partners of Portland General Electric Co. and served as its first president from 1892 to 1902. Parker F. Morey died in 1904. Clara Caufield Eastham Morey died July 23, 1927, at the age of 72.  She was survived by two daughters and four sons, two stepdaughters and one stepson.

Oregon City Enterprise, November 13, 1896


Enthusiastic Republicans Celebrate McKinley’s Election

Shouts, Horns, Whistles, Skyrockets and Roman Candles Fill the Air.

A big demonstration and ratification was held in this city last Friday night to celebrate McKinley’s election to the presidency. The night was cold and rain fell before the parade was ended, but that only served to add zeal to the ratifiers, who were loudly cheered as they passed through the streets. The procession, under the direction of Jas. U. Campbell, chief marshal, with Chas. Albright and Clark Greenman, aids was headed by the band, followed by a carriage containing Major Thomas Charman. Hon. W. C. Johnson and Rev. Gilman Parker, drawn by four spirited horses driven by Chas. Noblitt. This was followed in turn by the Union Veteran league, the McKinley and Hobart league and a mounted brigade from Logan. A steam engine improvised into a calliope was a feature of the parade. The line of march was ablaze with roman candles and red fire, while skyrockets filled the air. The business houses and residences along the line of march were pretty generally decorated.

The employees of the woolen mills, one hundred strong, showed their appreciation of the result of the election by parading up and down Main Street as soon as the result was known. Messrs. Jacobs knew nothing of the contemplated parade and came into the mill only ten minutes before the hands started but of course they appreciated the patriotism of their employees. In the evening the floor of the finishing room was cleared and a grand ball indulged in, the whole affair ending with refreshments.

IT IS OVER – How quiet it is now that the victory has been celebrated, and the drum major is in plain clothes, and the bogag and kazoo are sleeping three in a bed with the trombone, and the base drum is resting its sonorous hide. It was a hullabaloo campaign, but verily, the noise is over and the mourners go about the streets.

Oregon City Courier, November 16, 1906

STANDS TO LOSE $15,000 – Edward Johnson stands to lose $15,000 as a result of his failure to enter a plea in answer to the complaint of Mary E. Clay which was filed nearly one year ago.

Miss Clay, who is represented in court by attorneys Gordon F. Hayes and Dimick & Dimick, alleges that July 18, 195, in the city of Portland, Johnson promised to marry her and she agreed to become his blushing bride. The date was fixed for the month of September, and Miss Clay states that she was ready, willing and even anxious to become the wife of Mr. Johnson, and relying upon his solemn promises, accompanied him to St. Martin’s Hot Springs, where he provided a camping outfit and they remained there ten days, but after their return he repudiated his contract and refused to marry her. Miss Clay says her feelings were damaged to the extent of $15,000, for which amount she brought suit.

RILEY FAMILY HAS TROUBLES – William J. Riley has commenced suit in the Circuit Court against Mary C. Riley for divorce. He alleges cruel and inhuman treatment and personal indignities, and states that his wife has often ordered him to leave home and remain away. She rented the house with the furniture and has refused to cook for him and he was obliged to cook for himself. When he was away on account of sickness she wrote to him to not return home. He has conveyed to her one-third of his real and personal property amounting to $8,000 but has a great desire to be free.

Oregon City Enterprise, November 17, 1916

Oregon will go totally dry December 1, if means are found whereby violators of the new prohibition amendment to the state constitution can be punished Governor Withycombe announced today. If it is found, however, that the “bone-dry” amendment cannot be enforced, because it lacks a penalty clause, Governor Withycombe will not issue a proclamation putting the amendment into effect until the legislature meets and passes an enabling act fixing a penalty for violations. With the assurance that the total prohibition amendment has passed, state officials here today began to discuss the various possibilities which may result from its becoming effective. Under the constitution, the amendment will go into effect as soon as secretary of state completes the canvas of the vote and the governor issues a proclamation declaring it in force.

The mystery of a score of crimes, house and store robberies for the most part, was cleared up Tuesday afternoon when Ernest Kingsburg, 10, and Roy Kingsburg, 13, recounted one by one the numerous expeditions they had taken with their step-father, John Star, during the past five years. The case, a counterpart of the adventures of Oliver Twist when under the influence of Fagin, is considered the most unusual in the juvenile court annals of Clackamas County in recent years.

The two boys, with three sisters and two half-sisters, lived with their mother, employed by a local restaurant at $6 a week as dishwasher, on Monroe Street near Fourth. Star has been away from home for several weeks, leaving the support of the family of eight with Mrs. Star. He was convicted here a year ago on a charge of assault and served a sentence in the county jail.

Five years ago, Star began the education of his step-son, Roy, as a thief, the lad told Deputy District Attorney Burke and Juvenile Officer Frost Tuesday afternoon. The first lesson was in house breaking, the step-parent opening the window and shoving the boy inside. Stolen articles were handed out through the window. Stores and dwellings were visited by the man and his step-son, Roy told the authorities, and always they brought home foodstuffs.

Then came shoplifting. The two would go into a store, the boy would steal and hand the purloined articles to Star who always carried a sack in which the stolen goods could be hidden.

Ernest, the younger of the two boys, was not taken on as many of these trips as his elder brother, they told the officers, but he is as adept in the game as Roy. Their sister, Grace aged 11 years, also was given lessons in shoplifting, the boys said, and could steal ribbons and small articles from counters.

The father of the children lives at Montavilla and local authorities may endeavor to send them to him, rather than to the state training school, Deputy District Attorney Burke and Juvenile Officer Frost agree that the training given the lads by their step-father could be overcome. With their honest manner and straightforward story, the boys won the sympathy of the authorities.

The boys confessed Tuesday that recently they have stolen from a dozen downtown stores. Such articles as cheap watches, flashlights and pencils usually caught their eyes, and they would open a case or run cautious hands along a counter until the desired article was in their grasp. They boys were caught Monday night by Patrolman Woodward in the Star theatre. By selling a stolen watch and a flashlight for 25 cents they had secured money to pay their way into the place of amusement.

The boys do not want to leave their mother. Both cried Tuesday afternoon when Deputy District Attorney Burke suggested that they probably would be better off at the training school than at home.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s