News of the Week, January 15 to January 21

Oregon Spectator, January 21, 1847
We have had remarkably cold weather, for Oregon, during the last week, and a considerable fall of snow. The mercury in the thermometer fell to two degrees above zero, on Monday last; indeed, we have not had such severe weather since the winter of ’42 and ’43. The Clackamas River is frozen over near the Indian village so strongly as to permit a common thoroughfare to be established across it. The navigation of the upper Willamette is obstructed in consequence of ice in the vicinity of Rock Island. We understand that the Columbia River is likewise fastened with the fetters of the “ice king.” Information comes to us of a great mortality existing among cattle, chiefly among those that were brought in the last immigration; but apprehensions are entertained for the welfare of live stock generally, should the severe weather continue, as not provision has been made for feeding them, and there is so much snow on the ground as to preclude, almost, the possibility of their obtaining sufficient subsistence from the grass.

Oregon City Enterprise, January 18, 1877
By an analysis of the vote of Presidential electors on November 7, 1876, on the basis of the census of 1870, it has been found that the States represented in the vote for Hays contain nearly 400,000 square miles of territory more than those who cast their votes for Tilden, and nearly $1,000,000,000 more of the wealth of the nation.



These youngsters from the Catholic School, 1889, look like they could come up with a bit of mischief themselves.

Our attention has been called a great many times of late to the crowds of young boys who gather on the street corners, night after night, when they should be at home, plotting what mischief they shall get at next. And as a result of parents allowing their boys to be running loose around the streets at night our city has the reputation of having the worst boys in the State. Every day some one complains of the “doings” of these young – we had almost said hoodlums – boys; they disturb church meetings, rock the inoffensive Celestial, tear down signs, commit nuisances, and what not. One of the last feats performed by some one of them was to shoot a valuable horse, belonging to Mr. Babcock, with a lead shooter, destroying one of his eyes. It is needless for us to give a moral lecture on this subject, for parents well know the consequences of allowing the boys to run loose in this manner. Keep them at home studying their school lessons or anything useful.

M. C. Athey’s sign was torn down by the hoodlums the other night. They were not satisfied with removing it, but had to obliterate the name and then hid it under the Hook & Ladder house. A good thrashing is what these hoodlums need, and they are in a fair way to get it.

Oregon City Enterprise, January 18, 1907


Carnegie Medal
Established 1904

Many Oregon heroes were honored Wednesday when medals and money from the Carnegie hero fund were awarded in Pittsburg.

The story of the deed of bravery by Sam Stowe of this city is recalled by the awarding of the above medals.

Mr. Stowe is well known in this city. He is a great athlete and a man of much strength. The Carnegie hero fund awarded to Mr. Stowe a bronze medal for saving the life of George Hemminger of Portland last July from the locks at Oregon City.

Hemminger was working in front of the Portland General Electric Company’s station above the Willamette mill along the locks on July 20, 1906, the day of the accident. He was busy cutting long pipes when the stock broke off, causing Mr. Hemminger to fall into the canal. The waters of the canal at that point are very swift and often two swift for boats to make any headway.

Sam Stowe was present when the man went into the rushing waters and plunged into the canal to rescue the drowning man. It was a dangerous act as the suction towards the electric plant is very dangerous. When Stowe reached his man and brought him to a place on the wharf, it was only by the aid of R. Redding, the head-sawyer of the Willamette sawmill that Stowe was able to reach a point of safety.

Ten silver and eight bronze medals besides $9,210 in cash were awarded.

A shooting scrape between Humphrey Trembath and Antone Dicklich was the result of a bitter jealous feud which has been culminating for some time.

The shooting took place in the Portland House on Main Street on Friday evening at about 6:30, when Trembath came into the lodging house and found Dicklich in conversation with his (Trembath’s) wife in one of the rooms upstairs. So enraged was Trembath over the incident that he would accept no explanation which his wife tried to make. It seems that not all the rooms had been cleaned up that day and that she had gone up to the room last evening to rearrange them, when the husband showed up.

In jealous hatred Trembath went out and secured a revolver and returning found his wife and Dicklich talking over the situation in the kitchen. He at once leveled the weapon at Dicklich’s head and fire two shots, none of which took effect. Dicklich then made for Trembath and the two men wrestled together for some time and during the fist to fist fight Trembath struck Dicklich’s left cheek with his revolver inflicting several severe gashes.

The police were summoned and E. L. Shaw took the men in charge. Deputy District Attorney Schuebel was then called to his office and all participants of the affair were heard. Trembath was sent to jail over night to await his preliminary examination Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Mrs. Trembath and Dicklich were sent back to their lodging house.

The charge under which Trembath will be examined this afternoon is assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. He has secured Geo. C. Brownell to defend him and the hearing will be in Justice Stipp’s court.

The participants in the above affray are all well known in this city. Mr. and Mrs. Trembath have lived here for years. Dicklich has also been here for some time and has been in partnership with Trembath as the owners of the Portland lodging and boarding house. The two became acquainted on the Columbia River while Trembath was there in the fishing season. Dicklich came to Oregon City upon the advice of the other man.

The administrator of the estate of Mary Ott, deceased, has been notified by the court that the sum of $50 has been drawn and will be placed in favor of the estate to pay the funeral expenses of the deceased. This action was made necessary since a damage suit would have been brought against the county unless the funeral was paid by the county. Mrs. Ott died from the result of an explosion of giant powder on a public highway and it was the intention of the estate to sue to county unless this concession was agreed upon.

In December Mrs. Ott, age 46, had been afraid to remain in her house while nearby blasting was occurring. As she stepped out of her back door she was struck by a 50 pound stump that had flown 150 yards from the blasting site and over the roof of her house before striking and killing her. Officials later warned the workers to “discontinue use such heavy charges”, finding that 13 sticks each weighing 2-3 pounds of “powder” had been used to blast out the stump. No other action was taken.

Oregon City Enterprise, January 19, 1917

There will be no compromise with Estacada in the fight for the creation of a new county of eastern Clackamas. The Oregon City Commercial Club committees on county division and a delegation from Estacada were unable to come to terms at a conference held here Saturday afternoon, and the local club is lining up its forces for a vigorous fight against Cascade County’s creation.

“We are ready to fight them to the finish,” said O. D. Eby, after the conference. All of the county not affected by the division and even parts of the territory lying within the boundaries of the proposed new county are lining up with the club to oppose Estacada’s scheme to carve a new county out of old Clackamas, with Estacada as the county seat.

Every part of Clackamas County was represented in the anti-division special which left Oregon City about 3 o’clock Thursday afternoon for Salem to attend a joint meeting of the committees on counties from both houses of the legislature.

Of the 79 who made the trip, 24 were from the eastern part of the county, representing such towns as Sandy, Logan, Eagle Creek, Boring, Clarkes, Springwater, Colton and Barton.

giant-powderFour men were injured, a part of the business section of Oregon City was wrecked as if by a small earthquake and the hardware and second hand store of I. Tolpolar, 514 Main Street, was partially wrecked when a quantity of powder exploded in the Tolpolar store Saturday afternoon. The entire front of the store was blown into the street, and the damage is estimated at several hundred dollars. Those injured are: F. W. Parker, 802 Seventh Street, seriously burned arms and hands; Fred Woerms, Clairmont, burns on hands; James S. Hart, Molalla Avenue, burns on face and hands; I. Tolpolar, 509 Adams Street, burns on face.

Mr. Parker and Mr. Hart were working in the rear of the store, taking the powder and lead from shells. The shells were old and the powder stuck into the shells. One would take a hold on the lead and the other on the brass shell with large pinchers until the lead was pulled loose. Then they would poke the powder out of the shell with a corkscrew.

After several hours they filled a cigar box with powder. Mr. Parker was working the powder loose from a shell, and the point of the screwdriver, it is thought, came in contact with the cap in the shell and ignited the powder. An explosion followed which shook the block, and sent the glass front of the store flying into the streets, bits of glass sailing even as far as the car track.

Business men for half a block in each direction, feeling their store jarred and hearing the explosion, ran to the street and in an instant the sidewalk was blocked with the crowd.

“I heard the explosion, and felt the building rock,” said Henry Strebig, proprietor of a butcher shop five doors removed from the Tolpolar store, in telling his experience, typical of many. “I ran into the street and saw smoke pouring from the building as if it were afire. I felt the force of the explosion in my store.”

Mr. Baker was leaning over the powder at the time of the explosion and was the most seriously injured. His face was badly burned, and the scars left by the explosion will probably be permanent. He was taken to the office of Dr. C. A. Stuart and the burns dressed.

Mr. Woerms, a Clairmont farmer, was buying a milk strainer from Mr. Tolpolar, and both were in the front of the store, yet both were burned, so strong was the explosion.

In the excitement which followed the explosion, a fire alarm was sounded. However, through an error the wrong alarm was sounded and Main Street apparatus was taken up the hill and the firemen hunted for a blaze which did not exist. No fire followed the explosion.

Their inability to agree last October on the merits of Charles E. Hughes and Woodrow Wilson, candidates for President of the United States, led to an exchange of verbal fireworks, which is one of the principal allegation made in a divorce suit filed by Erma Jost against John Jost, Jr. of Portland, in the Clackamas County circuit court Thursday.

Mr. and Mrs. Jost were at the house of her parents in Portland one evening last October, when she expressed a wish that a certain candidate for president be elected. A quarrel followed, which ended only after he declared, she says, that he was a fool for every marrying her and they had better quit.

Other things, however, contributed to the trouble between the couple, according to the complainant. She drove her automobile around a street corner in Portland at a rate which declared too fast, and there followed a quarrel. Another time, she says, they were dining in one of the big Portland hotels and she handed him a piece of lemon on a plate as a joke. He lost his temper, however, and in the crowded hotel dining room called her names.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s