News of the Week, March 26 to April 1

Oregon City Enterprise, March 30, 1867


Henry Humbel, having purchased the above Brewery, wishes to inform the public that he is now prepared to manufacture a No. 1 quality of LAGER BEER! As good as can be obtained anywhere in the State. Orders solicited and promptly filled. (First published December 28, 1866)


Main Street, between Second and Third, Oregon City

J. C. Mann, Proprietor

The above long established and popular Saloon is yet a favorite resort, and as only the choicest brands of Wines, Liquors and Cigars are dispensed to customers, a share of the public patronage is solicited.


West Side Main, between Second and Third, Oregon City

George A. Haas, Proprietor

The proprietor begs leave to inform his friends and the public generally that the above named popular saloon is open for their accommodation, with a new and well assorted supply of the finest brands of wines, liquors and cigars.


Main Street, opposite the Post Office, Oregon City

E. Payne, Proprietor

The undersigned takes this method of informing the public that he has purchased the above saloon, and now offers a choice and well selected stock of foreign and domestic wines, liquors, etc., which cannot fail to please those who may extend their patronage. The best Lager Beer, Ale, and Porter in the State, always on draught.


Main Street, adjoining the Brick Store of S. Ackerman

James Mann, Proprietor

This popular saloon is always supplied with the very best quality of Wines, and liquors, Ale, Porter, Beer and Cider, Cigars and Tobacco. Give me a call.

And for those who prefer to drink at home…


Family Groceries and Provisions and All Articles for Culinary Purposes

A Fine Assortment of LIQUORS & TOBACCO! By the case or at retail!

Oregon City Enterprise, March 29, 1877


1905 log cabin saloon

Inside the Log Cabin Saloon
4th & Main, 1906

Harding and Humphreys, at the Depot Saloon, have the finest stock of wines, liquors and cigars in the city, which they will serve to all who favor them with a call. This is the only house in the city where Weinhard’s celebrated beer is kept. Give them a call and satisfy yourself.


The boys are catching trout in large numbers in the streams near the city. Messrs. Barin and Pope, who went to Clear Creek recently, bagged over one hundred of the speckled beauties. We can’t swear to the number, as they failed to call around at this office.


Just as we are going to press we receive the sad intelligence that Mr. Chas. Pope, who accompanied L. T. Barin on a fishing expedition up the Clackamas, was drowned yesterday afternoon. They had a boat hauled out to Barin’s place, where it was placed in the river, and they started down the stream. Yesterday afternoon, while coming down the raging stream, the boat struck a snag and sank. Both the men held onto the snag until chilled through, then they concluded to try and make the shore. Barin managed to reach land entirely exhausted; but on looking around for Mr. Pope, he was not to be seen – “He had passed over the river.” The body, up this time, has not been recovered. Mr. Pope leaves a wife and four children to mourn his loss. The grief-stricken family have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community in this their sad affliction.

Oregon City Enterprise, March 26, 1897


MILLER – In this city on Friday, March 19, 1897, Charles F. Miller, eldest son of J. N. and Sophia Miller, aged 13 years, 10 months and 8 days.

Charles was run over by a freight train Wednesday evening and had his left leg crushed and was unable to rally from the amputation made necessary on account of the accident.

The funeral services were held at the Baptist Church Sunday morning at 10 o’clock, conducted by the pastor, Rev. M. L. Rugg, the large auditorium being filled with friends who had assembled to express their sympathy with the family and to pay the last tribute of respect to the memory of the deceased. Charley was a seventh grade pupil at the Barclay School and the pupils of that grade, some 40 in number, attended in a body with their teach, Miss Gertrude Finley.

A peculiar, and to some people a prophetic incident in connection with young Miller’s death was the fact that on Wednesday, his last day at school, his class was directed to write a letter in their copy books, and Charley’s letter was addressed to his father, saying he was going away and bidding his parents farewell. Later in the day in language work, a few hours before the accident, he was required to write a sentence on the blackboard and wrote: “All my work is now ended.”

Oregon City Enterprise, March 29, 1907


“For God’s sake, don’t”

Those were the last words uttered by Joseph D. Maxwell before the shot rang out that may put an end to his life. The followed two other shots by which the lives of two were snuffed out almost instantaneously.

William W. Henderson lies cold in death, the fatal shot supposedly fired by his own hand. Mrs. Martha E. Henderson, his wife, is also dead, her husband firing the bullet that ended her life.

Wilhelm tell house

Wilhelm Tell House at left

The triple tragedy took place at the Wilhelm Tell house, corner of Sixth and Main Streets, this morning at half past eight. Ed. Willoughby was standing in his room when a bullet came through the wall from the next room and whizzed past his face, missing him only by a few inches. He rushed downstairs and out on the street calling “Murder!”

Chief of Police Burns and representative from the Star were passing at the time and immediately hurried into the house and up the stairs. I twas a fearful scene that met them.

Lying on the bed in Maxwell’s room with his brains splattered over the wall behind him was Henderson. Partly on the bed and partly on the floor lay Maxwell, in a widening pool of blood. Behind the door and wedged against it so that entrance was gained with difficulty lay the woman who is said to be the cause of the tragedy, with a fearful gash in her forehead and the blood streaming from a wound in her breast.

All three were alive when found, but Henderson and his wife expired in a few minutes, without gaining consciousness. The woman died first, a few low moans signifying her passing. A minute afterwards Henderson also passed out amid fearful groans. Maxwell, although terribly injured, was not unconscious, and was removed to the next room where Dr. C. A. Stuart is battling for his life.

A 41-caliber Colt was the weapon used and was found on the bed by the side of Henderson. Five of the six chambers were empty, but whether more than three shots were fired is uncertain. A 38-caliber Harrington-Richards revolver was found lying under the pillow of Maxwell’s bed with all the chambers full.

This story continues for a few weeks, with more and more new revelations about the possibly not so innocent Mrs. Henderson, who a California newspaper described as “one of the most daring, shrewd and unscrupulous adventuresses that ever operated in this state”. Her father, Joseph Maxwell, died a few days later and was buried at Mountain View Cemetery by the Grand Army of the Republic, as he was a Civil War Veteran. See more at: A Shooting, Three Deaths and a Shady Past

Oregon City Enterprise, March 30, 1917


Orders for the mobilization of the Third Regiment Infantry, Oregon National Guard, received Sunday night from the Secretary of War, set wheels in motion that are turning busily today getting Oregon’s troops ready for federal duty.

Acting under instructions issued by Adjutant General George A. White last week, the several companies of the regiment are assembling at armories throughout the state, preparing to get together at the mobilization point whenever it is designated.

General White has recommended Vancouver barracks as the most available point of mobilization for this time of the year, but specific instructions as to where the regiment will get together must come from the headquarters of the western department of the army at San Francisco, Major General J. Franklin Bell commanding.

Among those leaving for Portland where they are to be assigned to their country’s call was W. R. Logus, who has been second Lieutenant of Company G. Mr. Logus left for Portland Monday, where he has been assigned to the office of adjutant of the Second Battalion, Third Oregon.

Captain L. E. Blanchard left on Sunday evening for Portland, and is to take command of Company G, having been summoned to that city Sunday afternoon.

Sam Miller, Enos Burke, Ray Cooper are among those leaving for Portland Monday to take up their duties with Company G.

Preston Jones, of Oregon City, having been summoned to Portland Monday morning, left to join Company H.

Word was received by Sheriff Wilson Monday from his son Kent Wilson, a medical student at the University of Oregon, saying that the young man has been called out with the militia and that he would report in Portland today. He will come through Oregon City on his way to the mobilization point. Young Wilson is a member of the medical corps.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s