News of the Week, April 2 to April 8

Oregon City Enterprise, April 5, 1877

CHAS. W. POPE

We are sorry to have to chronicle the sad news concerning the death by drowning of our respected friend and townsman, C. W. Pope. On Tuesday, March 27, Mr. Pope, L. T. Barin and Geo. Harding; accompanied by Richard Hawkins as teamster, who was taking their boat and camping outfit, went out to a point a short distance below the upper Clackamas bridge. They arrived in safety, had the boat put in to the river, and camped there that night. Mr. Hawkins returned the same day with the team, and Mr. Harding was sent for from Oregon City during the night, as his presence was required at home, thus leaving Messrs. Pope and Barin alone to make the trip down the river in the boat. The intention of the party was to descend the river and stop at eddies to fish for the magnificent mountain trout that this river is so well noted for to those who have ever cast a bait in its waters. Besides this the banks of the Clackamas affords some of the grandest primeval scenery to be found even in this State, noted as it is for its unequaled views of nature, uncontaminated by the destroying hand of man. Who then can blame them for wishing to throw off the cares of business for a few days, to enjoy such sport as they were sure to get, and to be invigorated by the bracing air of the mountains, assisted by the exercise and excitement of the trip down the river.

(Read the rest of the article and funeral information at: A Planned Day of Fishing Ends Tragically)


Oregon City Enterprise, April 2, 1897

Park Place School 1903

Parkplace School 1903

ARBOR DAY – The teachers of Parkplace school are preparing for Arbor Day exercises. Four trees are to be dedicated: one in honor of the greatest inventor, one in honor of the greatest inventor, one in honor of the greatest editor, one in honor of the greatest scientist, and the other in honor of the greatest poet. The orators will be chosen this week.

Business News –

…It is true The Fair is the cheapest store in the city. See our goods and prices. Men’s hats for $1.00, $1.25 and $1.50 that sell elsewhere for $2.00 to $2.50. Our suits of clothing are going fast; the prices and quality is what makes them go. Special bargains on all woolen blankets. Silks at half price. See those ladies’ corsets 50 and 75 cents, and those misses corset waists for 25 cents. Lots of other goods and every article a genuine bargain. AT the Fair on Main Street, between Sixth and Seventh.

…The bankrupt sale of dry goods and clothing (known as The Fair) will positively go out of business in Oregon City in a few days. This firm thanks their friends for past favors and only regrets that other business compels them to leave this city. They therefore give the people an opportunity of purchasing goods at great reductions. The Fair, second store north of Oregon City Bank.


Oregon City Enterprise, April 5, 1907

PLANS FOR NEW TRACK APPROVED BY COUNCIL

Approval of the rails and proposed roadbed of the Oregon Water Power Railway track along Main Street, the development that the Pacific Telephone Company is operating without a franchise, passage of an ordinance regulating material and construction of sidewalks, start made for the Madison Street improvement, and first reading of an ordinance regulating sanitary conditions in buildings were the most important transactions of the busy session of the City Council Wednesday night that was protracted for half an hour into Thursday morning. Besides the foregoing there were a large amount of routine business and minor matters disposed of. Mayor and all members were present except Councilmen Brandt and Harrington.

There is nothing in the way now to prevent or delay the Portland Railway, Light and Power Company from proceeding immediately with the reconstruction of the O. W. P. tracks along Main Street. The 1902 ordinance was amended to suit the depth of the rails that the company’s attorney says are “now on hand”; the rails and method of laying were approved by the Council, and if the company is in earnest the work can be completed long before the franchise time limit, November 10, next.

The matter was brought up by the Recorder reading a communication from the company, saying the bonding of the tracks at Green Point and along Main Street had been ordered. This was in reply to a recent resolution of the Council directing this to be done for the safety of teams and pedestrians.

Franklin T. Griffith, local attorney for the company, presented an ordinance amending section 10 of the 1902 franchise to the O. W. P., changing the depth of the rails to be sued in relaying the track on Main Street from 7 to 6½ inches. He asked that this be passed because the rails the company on hand for the work were 6½ inches deep although weighing 88 pounds to the yard instead of only 75 pounds as required by the ordinance. After insertion of a date at the insistence of City Attorney Campbell, to make sure the amendment would not extend the life of the franchise, the ordinance was read the first time and ordered published.

Mr. Griffith also presented a resolution by which the Council approved the rails and proposed road bed for the new track, the 1902 franchise providing that the Council’s approval must be obtained. The resolution was not passed until it had been thoroughly discussed and several changes made in it.

The rails to be used, said the resolution, along the paved portion of Main Street, will be grooved rails, on unpaved portions of street and on curved rails of switches on paved streets, T rails, the former weighing 88 pounds to the yard, and the latter 70 pounds. The rails are to be laid on ties 6 x 8 inches, 8 feet long, resting on gravel bed 6 inches deep, this on cement construction and the same material used as filling between the ties. It was stated and not disputed during the discussion that there would be, practically, a solid bed of concrete under the tracks.

The resolution provides for vitrified brick or basalt stone block paving between the rails and for a foot on either side, the choice of material being left to the Council. The blocks are dearer and supposed to be better. The filling for paving is to be either cement or paving pitch. The rails and road bed construction are similar in all respects to that being used now in Portland, said Mr. Griffith.

streetcar 1917 2nd and Main

Double tracks, 1917, 2nd and Main Streets, with stone pavement.

The resolution gives the company permission to place the present track above the street grade and nearer the curb in order to accommodate the traffic while a new track is being laid in the center of the street, the excavation to allow the eight foot ties will take in one rail of the present track.

Superintendent Howell gave warning that the old tracks were right above the city water mains and had done them great damage. To the suggestion of stating the resolution the new tracks would be placed in the center of the street. Mr. Griffith turned a deaf ear, he was not authorized to resign any claimed rights of the company, referring to the company’s contention that it has a franchise for double tracks, but he assured Council it was the intention to put the tracks as near the center of the street as practicable.

Petition for improvement of Madison Street from Third to Fifteenth Street presented and notice ordered published. This is the street it is proposed to park along the sides.

Ordinance granting franchise to Frank Busch to use Singer Hill Creek for power was passed.

Ordinance regulating width and material for sidewalks passed. (All sidewalks shall be constructed of asphalt, stone, cement, artificial stone or wood, 6 feet wide except downtown cross streets not less than six or more than 10 feet. A previous ordinance had required that all sidewalks on Main Street be constructed of cement.)

…A mild sensation was sprung by the introduction of an ordinance regulating sanitary conditions in buildings. The Mayor stated the immediate cause of it was the neglect or refusal of a firm employing a number of women to put in conveniences. The ordinance was read first time and will be published in this paper.

Fire Chief Ruconich reported hydrants at Fourteenth and Fifteenth Streets out of repair, recommended walk repaired in front of Green Point fire house and two lights put in, new nozzle for No. 2 and sinks placed in Hook & Ladder, Fountain and Cataract rooms. Latter deferred. Superintendent Howell denied the chief’s report about hydrants. Other recommendations adopted.

Ordinance No. ___ (to be assigned)

An ordinance providing for the sanitary conditions of factories, workshops, tenements, public halls or lodging houses.

Oregon City does ordain as follows:

Section 1. In factories and workshops where there are fifteen persons or less of each sex, there shall be provided by the proprietor or owner, one water closet for each sex, and one for each additional fifteen person each sex or minimum thereof. Toilets shall be separate in all cases. Every tenement or lodging house shall be provided with one water closet for every ten rooms or minimum thereof, and one sink for each floor. All residences and public halls shall be provided with at least one water closet and one sink.

Section 2. Any person, firm or corporation violating any of the provisions of this ordinance shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof, before the Recorder or Mayor, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $10.00 or more than $50.00. Each day in which such toilets and water closets are not provided shall be deemed a separate offense.

Section 3. Whereas there are many building, factories and workshops, within the corporate limits unprovided with proper sanitary facilities and endangering the public health of the citizens, therefore it is the judgment of the Council that an emergency exists, and that it is necessary for the public health that this ordinance shall become operative upon its approval by the Mayor, therefore this ordinance shall take effect and be in force immediately upon it approval by the Mayor.

…to come up for final passage at a special meeting of said Council to be held April 17th, 1907 at 8 o’clock P. M.


Oregon City Enterprise, April 6, 1917

War is Declared

MILLS, LOCKS AND LIGHT PLANT TO GET PROTECTION

Twenty-one members of Company A Third Oregon regiment, arrived here at 5 o’clock Tuesday to guard the government locks, the mills, and the electric station, against possible depredations from pro-Germans.

The men, who are from Vancouver, Wash., marched down Main Street under command of a sergeant, causing great excitement. Their coming was entirely unexpected.

The points to be guarded by the soldiers are: the government locks in the Willamette River; the mills of the Crown Willamette Paper Company; the mills of the Hawley Pulp & Paper Company; and the Oregon City Woolen Mills; and the Portland Railway Light & Power Company’s electric station. No threats against the mills have been reported, and it is believed that the guarding is purely precautionary.

The soldiers are quartered in Harding Hall on Main Street. The men were detailed to watch the various stations as soon as they arrived. Previous to the coming of the troops the City had taken steps to guard it’s water supply, by appointing two guards to watch the South Fork of the Clackamas River. In an effort to keep the guarding of the line secret, the City Council held an executive session at its last meeting, barring all visitors and newspaper men. No soldier guards have as yet been sent to watch the pipe line.

A troop train went through the city for a secret destination at 9 o’clock p. m., according to reports from residents who said they saw the soldiers. Reports were received from Portland to the effect that officials were taking every precaution to keep movements of troops secret.

RECRUITING OFFICE FOR GUARD OPENS IN OREGON CITY

Under the direction of Captain K. C. Kerstetter, of the Oregon National Guard, a recruiting office for the guard was opened Saturday afternoon in the offices of Dillman & Howland at Eighth and Main Streets.

Captain Kerstetter, who is a member of the officers reserve corps of the United States Army, hopes to obtain from among Oregon City’s young men a sufficient number of recruits to show that this district has furnished its quota of men in this time of acute national peril.

At present 400 new militiamen are needed to bring the Oregon Guard up to war strength. Recruits for all branches of the service will be taken. The men in charge will gladly furnish all information in connection with the work of the guard.

In connection with the recruiting work here an automobile load of recruiting officers will go through the county during the next week in an effort to induce as many as possible of the men now on farms to join the colors.

Dillman and Howland have donated the space for the recruiting office, which will be open for several days, it was announced. Captain Kerstetter has every hope of making a good showing.

ALL NATIONS SHOW LOYALTY AS FLAG RISES ON STAFF

Flag

From the front page
Oregon City Enterprise
April 6, 1917

That the Welsh, Germans and Swiss as well as other nationalities residing in the Henrici school district are loyal to the American flag was evidenced at the patriotic exercises held at the schoolhouse Thursday morning at 11 o’clock. The parents of the children had been invited to the raising of the flag which had been purchased by the school directors, W. F. Harris (Welsh); Henry Henrici (German); and Christ Muralt (Swiss).

The exercises were opened with an address by County School Superintendent J. E. Calavan, who gave the people an idea as to the importance of the flag. He was followed by each of the directors, all of whom spoke in highest praise of the stars and stripes.

As the flag was raised every person attending the impressive exercise saluted the flag. “Star Spangled Banner” was sung by the children with the parents joining in the chorus; and other patriotic songs were sung. The teacher, Miss Ellen Witcomb of Portland, was very proud of the large gathering.

Mayor E. C. Hackett addressed the girls and their guests, praising the spirit of the young women of the city and the work that they have thus far accomplished.

The blood that ran rife in the veins of the youths of ’61 came back strong again last night when the G. A. R. Fife and Drum Corps rallied under the banner of the nation they helped make possible and played a group of patriotic airs.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s