Oregon Spectator, July 8, 1847
We are pleased to announce the arrival among us of a young American artist, Mr. J. M. Stanley, who visits our territory for the purpose of transferring to canvas some portions of the beautiful and sublime scenery with which our country abounds. The field of Mr. Stanley’s labors has chiefly been in the valley of the Mississippi, where he is extensively known and appreciated. He has had the advantage of considerable travel, having visited most of the conspicuous localities of North America, and comes in our midst, having but recently shaken off the dust of the rough tramp from the states to Santa Fe and California, which latter country he visited as a member of the Topographical Corps in Gen. Kearney’s command. We bespeak for him, at the hands of our fellow-citizens, a favorable reception, as a friend of “Lang Syne,” as a gentleman and a worthy member of his noble profession.
John Mix Stanley (January 17, 1814 – April 10, 1872) painted one of the most iconic pictures of early Oregon City. His painting helps locate many of the early businesses, particularly the “Red Store” of Capt. John H. Couch and Francis Pettygrove at the south end of Main Street.
FOURTH OF JULY
The return of the anniversary of our National Independence was generally observed throughout the territory. The enjoyment of the occasion was heightened by the fact of the settlement of the vexed question of boundary and possession, although that settlement was not so congenial to our feelings as we could have desired. In this city the day was observed by the firing of appropriate salutes at sunrise, noon and sunset, and by delightful social gatherings in the evening. At Portland more extensive preparations had been made for the celebration of the day; at sunrise, with the firing of a well-timed salute of thirteen guns, the shipping was declared with flags and pennants, and the American standard was displayed upon the liberty pole on shore. There was a large assemblage of people from various parts of the territory. A salute of thirty guns was fired at 12 o’clock, after which an excellent oration was delivered to a crowded audience, comprised of both sexes, by the Rev. Dr. William Roberts, superintendent of the Methodist Mission in this country. A sumptuous repast had been prepared by the committee of arrangements, which was to have been enjoyed beneath an extremely tasteful bower, but unfortunately the inclement condition of the weather rendered other arrangements necessary, and although there was an ample supply of provisions, yet, if the committee had been enabled to have carried out their contemplated arrangement, it would have result in more general satisfaction. A salute at sunset, and pleasant gatherings in the evening, concluded the celebration.
Oregon City Enterprise, July 6, 1867
COMING – The pipe for the street mains of the Oregon City Water Works Company were ordered to come along as speedily as possible. The preparatory work for erecting the reservoir, on the bluff, is progressing fully. Main Street will have ten hydrants. Won’t that be healthy for a warm day.
THE GAMES – Four games of Base Ball were played in this city on Thursday last. Those between the Pioneers and Clackamas Club netting 99 runs. Next the Wide Awake Club of Portland played the Second Nine of the Clackamas Club, five innings, the net runs being 71. Next the Highlanders played the Tumwater Club, nine innings, winning the game by 19 runs, the total runs on both sides amounting to 87. The Juveniles then played each other in the evening, but we have no report.
CLOSED – On Wednesday last the Woolen Manufacturing Company at this place shut down all machinery for an indefinite period. The Paper Mill was closed on attachment the same day. We have no time for comments this week.
Oregon City Enterprise, July 5, 1877
Fourth of July
According the program announced last week, the celebration in this city was commenced with a grand procession, which formed in front of the Cliff House and marched down Main Street and then up the hill to the base ball ground. The procession was headed by the Aurora band, with citizens, Liberty Car, and firemen following, and it was a very respectable turn-out. The reading of the Declaration of Independence by Mr. E. L. Eastham, oration by Capt. Smallwood patriotic songs by the ladies and gentlemen under the leadership of Rev. J. W. Sellwood and solo by Miss Emma Miller, were all well rendered, and, if time and space would permit, we would be pleased to note each separately, but it is enough to say all speak in the highest terms of praise. The contest on the diamond field by the Pioneers of Portland and the Clackamases of this city, resulted in a glorious victory for our boys. The score stood 20 for the Clackamases and 9 for the Pioneers. Excellent playing was done on both sides, but our boys were too much for their opponents.
Over two thousand persons were on the grounds, and all seemed to be enjoying themselves; and we are not called upon to note a single fight or case of drunkenness, as heretofore characterized affairs of this kind. The parties who had the arrangements of the celebration are to be congratulated on the pleasant and successful manner in which everything passed off. The ball at Pope’s Hall in the evening was a perfect success. About fifty couples participated, and everything passed in a very pleasant manner.
Oregon City Enterprise, July 2, 1897
NEW SANITARIUM – Articles of incorporation have been filed with the secretary of state and with the county clerk incorporating the Oregon City Sanitarium, with George A. Harding, E. E. Charman, J. M. Wells, M. C. Strickland, J. W. Norris and J. W. Powell, incorporators. The capital stock is $1,000, divided into shares of $1 each. The object is to conduct a sanitarium for the treatment of all surgical and medical cases. The Barin building on Main and Thirteenth Streets, which is one of the best buildings in the city for this purpose, has been thoroughly renovated and fitted up for this purpose and is now ready for the reception of patients. Geo. A. Harding was elected president of the corporation; Dr. Strickland, vice-president; Dr. Powell, secretary; and E. E. Charman, treasurer. The management of the sanitarium will be under the direction of an executive committee consisting of Drs. Norris, Powell and Wells.
Drs. Carll and Sommer have just received an Edebold operating table of the latest pattern and design. It is made entirely of plate glass and enameled iron. There are four smaller tables in the set, all of the same material, and a complete line of sterilizers, the entire outfit costing $400. It will be put in the operating room of the Oregon City hospital and is only another evidence that these gentlemen are thoroughly up-to-date in the practice of their profession.
Oregon City Enterprise, July 5, 1907
CHOPPED TO PIECES – STREWN ALONG TRACK
Some time during the night, John O’Donnell, who is known to many in this city, was run over by a train on the Southern Pacific, and killed. The train passed over his body below the hips, cutting off both legs. The accident occurred at Fourth Street and when found O’Donnell was dead. He was first discovered by the conductor of the northbound freight train arriving here about 4 o’clock Friday morning, who saw the mangled remains of a man lying alongside the track near Fourth Street. For about a rod the track was strewn with blood and flesh and presented a most gruesome sight. The coroner was at once notified and by the time he arrived a small group had congregated.
On investigation the man was recognized by several as John O’Donnell. Both of his legs had been run over by the train, and the right one was nearly severed. The rest of his body was badly bruised and it is thought that he may have received internal injuries. His left shoe was torn from his foot, and the sole cut in tow, indicating that O’Donnell might have stepped on the rail in trying to climb on the train, and the wheel running over his foot, threw him on the rail.
O’Donnell was seen around the city Thursday evening and told several that he had beat his way into town earlier in the evening, and that he intended to leave in the same way. He was about 24 years of age, has never been thrifty, spending what little money he earned for whiskey.
He leaves a mother, two brothers, William and Claude, a sister resides in Estacada. Some time ago while he was serving a term in the county jail, he ran away when he had one more day of his sentence to serve, and last night was his first appearance in the city since that time. Fear of arrest may have led him to try on board an outgoing train. As the cause of his death is so plain, Coroner Holman will hold no inquest. No funeral arrangements have been made.
(He was buried in a family plot at Mountain View Cemetery the next day.)
Oregon City Enterprise, July 6, 1917
JURY ALLOWS $650.50 TO VICTIM OF BRUTAL ATTACK WITH GAS PIPE
A jury in the circuit court Saturday allowed Peter J. Erickson $650.50 damages for injuries which he claimed he received at the hands of W. O. Grant on the night of April 23 near the Fourth Street viaduct. Erickson, who has been employed for the past five years in the Hawley Pulp & Paper mills, became engaged in a dispute with Grant over the displaying of the Kaiser’s picture some time in March. It seems that Grant then circulated rumors and made statements that Erickson had insulted the American flag and had assaulted him.
Grant was subsequently discharged and on April 23, Erickson left work at midnight and was on his way home when a man attached him and struck him over the head with a section of gas pipe about 18 inches long. The incident aroused considerable excitement in this city and because of this fact Chief of Police Lee French undertook to run to earth the man who was responsible. By establishing a chain of circumstances, French was able to convince the jury Saturday that Grant was responsible for the attack on Erickson. Erickson filed suit May 24 for $1,000 through Brownell and Sievers.
CYCLIST BREAK LEG
William Risley of Portland, is at the Oregon City hospital with a broken leg, sustained when his motorcycle on which he had come from Portland Monday, tipped over on him at Canemah Park. Dr. H. S. Mount and Clyde Mount attended. Mr. Risley.
W. J. McCord, who recently enlisted in the engineers corps at American Lake, arrived in Oregon City on Saturday morning to visit his parents, Mr. & Mrs. W. J. W McCord of Twilight. Mr. McCord states that the Oregon City boys are in the best of health, and all are ready to be summoned to France. He is a member of Company F, and other Oregon City men also members of the same company are William Folger, Blake Bowland, the Meade brothers, Charles Nicholls, W. E. Hancock, Carl Martin, H. A. Swafford. Mr. McCord will leave on Sunday evening for American Lake.