News of the Week, September 24 to September 30

Oregon Spectator, September 30, 1847

We learn that our worthy townsman and fellow citizen, Capt. John H. Couch, in on the eve of his departure for the States, on the bark Toulon. He intends returning to Oregon as soon as his business arrangements will permit. Capt. Couch was among the first of the settlers who established themselves at the falls of the Willamette, when a dense forest covered this spot which is now pretty well known to the world as Oregon City. His gentlemanly deportment has won him a host of friends, who esteem him for his high moral worth. We cannot afford to lose such citizens even for a short period and therefore he must hasten back with all convenient dispatch.

Land for Sale – The undersigned, agent for Philip Foster, offers for sale all that portion of land situate at Green Point, within one mile of Oregon City, recently owned by Foster & Dement – town lots, &c. For further information enquire of A. LAWRENCE LOVEJOY

Oregon Argus, September 26, 1857

OWNER WANTED – There is now at Dement’s store in this city, some personal estate which was lost by the owner under the following circumstances: On last Saturday night as Mr. Nelson, the city watch, who has stood guard ever since Dement’s buildings were fired some months since, was on duty, he passed a suspicious looking personage, several times during the night, who finally turned and enquired of Nelson, why he was following him? The watch told him that is was in discharge of a duty which was imperative. At about two o’clock A. M., as Nelson was passing Dierdorff store, the stranger came out of an alley and assaulted him. A blow from the watchman’s club brought him to the ground, from which he soon rose running. Nelson fired three shots after him from a revolver with some effect probably, judging from the blood that marked the sidewalk the next morning for some distance towards Canemah. In the melee, the stranger dropped a bundle which he carried under his arm, which consisted of shavings, cedar splinters, oiled paper, gunpowder, and matches; all carefully wrapped up in tarred canvas. This property is now at Dement’s and the owner of any of his “partners” will please to come forward and claim it at their earliest convenience.

RARE CHANCE – The subscriber offers for sale his residence in Oregon City. There are two full lots, well fenced, with bearing fruit trees, and shrubbery of the most desirable kinds, together with a stable and well. The house is one and a half stories, well plastered, with seven rooms, pantry, closets, drain, and cellar. The location is one of the most desirable in the city, easy of access, and commanding a beautiful view of the river. Possession will be given in February. Price $2,000; or $1,500 for the house and one lot. Approved scrip will be received in pay at 40 cents on the dollar. THOMAS POPE

Oregon City Enterprise, September 28, 1867

HOW LADIES MAY DEFEND THEMSELVES – A woman writes through the press to advise her sex to carry revolvers to protect themselves from the attacks of ruffians, as she considers that our laws and society make very inadequate provisions for their protection. If women do not possess revolvers, and cannot get them, she advises every woman to carry about with her a box of ground red pepper and throw a handful into the face and eyes of anyone who may seem disposed to make an attack. We have little faith that the arming of women would make them any freer from insult and outrage than they are now; but of the two methods of defense mentioned we should say the pepper would be decidedly the most effectual.

RANCH FOR SALE – Situate between the Clackamas River and the OREGON CITY TOWN PLAT! In the vicinity of T. J. Hunsaker. Will be sold cheap for cash. Apply to: LEVY & FECHHEIMER, Main Street, Oregon City

1874 looking north along railroad tracks to Clackamas River.jpg

Looking north toward the Clackamas River along the railroad tracks, 1874. Foreground approximately 14th Street.

Oregon City Enterprise, September 27, 1877

The sale of the Imperial Mills was postponed until next Saturday, at 1 o’clock. It was offered for sale last Saturday, but no bids were made.

EVIDENCE OF A HARD WINTER – Already there are to be seen about farm houses and in our valley groves, great numbers of the little bird known as pine finch (Chrysomistris pinus). Our naturalists tell us that their coming into the haunts of civilization is an indication that the winter will be severe.

Oregon City Enterprise, September 24, 1897


Justice C. Schuebel went to Salem Monday to consult with Supt. Paine and Dr. Williamson, of the asylum staff, relative to the condition of his brother-in-law, Robert Beattie, who was sent to the asylum a few weeks since. Mr. Beattie’s brain trouble was caused by a hurt received on his head by the explosion of a shot gun in his hands several years ago and physicians think his insanity is caused by an abnormal growth on the inside of his skull, which causes an unnatural pressure on the brain, the removal of which it is hoped will restore his reason. And next Monday the asylum physicians, assisted by Dr. Carll, of this city, and Dr. Josephi, of Portland, will trephine Mr. Beattie’s skull, with the expectation that the operation will restore his reason. Should it fail the doctors state there is no possibility of the young man ever regaining his reason.

An article in the Salem Statesman a few days later stated that the surgery was successful, but Robert Stevenson Beattie remained in the Oregon State Hospital until his death from “senility” on May 5, 1937. His cremains were never claimed by a family member and still remain at the State Hospital.

Mrs. T. A. McBride and daughter, Miss May, arrived home last Friday evening from a six weeks camping trip in the vicinity of Mt. St. Helens. Aside from the smoke of the forest fires during the summer, a delightful outing was spent.

Oregon City Enterprise, September 27, 1907

  • Several converts were baptized in the river at the foot of Eleventh Street Sunday by Rev. Blackwell of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
  • Ladies of the Baptist Church are considering the question of serving meals at the Fair at Gladstone. The ladies have a good reputation for feeding people up to the limit of value, so that it is needless to say that such arrangement will prove popular with those who expect to patronize the Fair restaurant.
  • Chief of Police Burns arrested Robert W. Bottorff, quarter-master sergeant of Company K, Fourteenth United States Infantry, who is wanted at Vancouver Barracks to answer a charge of desertion. Bottorff left the post while on duty at Vancouver about 10 days ago, in company with a woman, and has been living here quietly.
  • Messrs. Scott, Spence, Lazelle and Cross of the Fair committee on location, visited the Chautauqua grounds Tuesday and settled on a the arrangement of stalls and pens for horses, cattle, sheep and hogs, and put the work of building them into the hands of Mr. Cross. It is promised that the arrangements will be ample and that they will be ready in time for the opening of the big show.


An Associated Press dispatch under a New York City date says:


1907 Postcard showing Meeker’s wagon in New York City.

An ox-team drawing a “prairie schooner.” the driver of which was a rugged looking old man, who wore a typical western garb, attracted great crowds on Broadway. The vehicle and driver were not only a striking contrast to the automobiles and carriages on the “Great White Way,” but a decided novelty in New York.

The driver was Ezra Meeker, a pioneer of the Oregon Trail, who had returned over the trail he followed a half century before.

All along Riverside Drive from Grant’s tomb to Seventy-Second Street Meeker was followed by an interested and curious throng. When Broadway was reached the crowd was so dense that the oxen had a hard time to make any headway. Meeker’s trip ended at the Battery. He had come all the way from Tumwater, Washington to New York in 626 days.

Oregon City Enterprise, September 28, 1917


The bodies of Earl Owen and Ted Creel, the two young men who mysteriously disappeared on the night of Wednesday, September 12, were found floating in the Willamette River on Friday morning. Owen’s body was seen floating in the river by the crew of the steamer Ruth, the boat on which the young men were employed, the body being near the west bank of the river south of the rapids, and the body of Creel was found by some fishermen between the Magoon park and Jennings Lodge.

Owing to the absence of the coroner, Dr. W. E. Hempstead, who is at American Lake, this position is being filled by John N. Sievers, justice of the peace, but owing to the circumstances, he deemed it unnecessary to hold an inquest, as it was without doubt that the boys lost their lives accidentally on the night of their disappearance.

Ted Creel is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Creel, of LaCenter, Washington, the father having been in this city for several days assisting in the search for his son. He has a sister, Mrs. J. Sanford, of Portland. He was 20 years of age.

Earl Owen, who was 17 years of age, leaves a mother, Mrs. Owen, of Molalla; two brothers, F. Owen of Needy; C. Owen, of Molalla; and a sister, Mrs. Flood of Portland.


Thomas Moore, juvenile automobile thief, led Deputy Sheriffs Frost and Joyner a merry chase Wednesday. They spotted the boy late in the afternoon and opened up the throttle, but Moore turned the stolen car into the Holmes lane and jumping from the automobile he disappeared in the brush. Sheriff Wilson hurried to the scene and took charge of operations, and darkness came on and the officers had to content themselves with the recovery of the car. It is thought that Moore made his escape under cover of night. The automobile had been driven more than 600 miles since it was taken early Sunday morning and was not badly injured, though the running board and fenders showed signs of rough driving.

Slippery Jim and the village constable had nothing on Frost and Joyner Wednesday when they started in Joyner’s car at a 40-mile clip in response to a hurry call from Gordon Wilson, son of the Sheriff, who spotted Moore on the hill. Moore has a bad record for a boy, having served time in the state training school. He is over-fond of other peoples’ motor cars and his last escapade, after running off with his father’s car, which he brought back, and Arthur Smith’s car, which he discarded after running out of gasoline, was to run away with Gordon McKillican’s car early last Sunday morning.

Gordon Wilson saw Moore driving the car Wednesday morning and promptly phoned the sheriff’s office that Moore was on the hill driving south. Joyner and Frost climbed aboard the Doc Yak special and hit every bump in their pursuit, but the bird had flown. They returned, mystified, but without their quarry. Moore was later reported from Estes store and by Hartke’s driver returning in a northerly direction, but the officers could find no trace of him. Sheriff Wilson tried his hand after the return of his subordinates, but with no better success.

Wednesday afternoon a second hunt was instituted, with the result that the automobile was recovered.


4 thoughts on “News of the Week, September 24 to September 30

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s